GardenAfrica helps people respond to biodiversity loss by identifying plants that are either under-valued or over-exploited, particularly where they are valuable for their nutritional, soil fertility, medicinal or pesticidal benefits.
- We apply research with our partners to support the appropriate selection & storage of seed.
- We assist with the adaptation and cultivation of species to ensure that these resources, and the skills to continue adapting them, remain available to the next generation.
- We use knowledge gained from this programme to support our other programmes with essential information on species that can be adapted to improve health or economic performance
Projects within our Plant Conservation & Biodiversity Programme seek the following outcomes:
- The identification of economically, socially and ecologically important species provides an incentive for conservation.
- The application of scientific and traditional knowledge maximises the utilisation of effective plant-based alternatives for health and livelihoods.
- The identification and promotion of appropriate and transferable technologies facilitates adaptation to changing social and climatic realities.